Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
A shortbread cookie with cherries and Hershey cherry cordial kisses.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry
- 48 Hershey cherry cordial chocolate kisses
- granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl beat butter for 30 seconds on med-high speed. Add powdered sugar and salt beating until combined (scrape sides of bowl). Beat in the cherry liquid and almond extract. Beat in as much flour as you can then use a spoon to mix any remaining flour and the chopped cherries.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar, flatten the balls until they are about 1/2 inch thick. Bake 14 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Right away place a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
I've made these for 3-4 years now at Christmas time. They look great in my treat boxes that I give to neighbors and friends.
Easy to make...and a great cookie for Valentine's Day! I did have the cherry cordial kisses and flavors are great together. Because of the earlier review that mentioned the very sticky dough, I used paper towels to blot excess juice off the maraschino cherries both before and after I chopped them. I refrigerated the dough for about 30 minutes, and the dough handled very well for rolling into balls.
Be sure to read the note: SHORTBREAD COOKIE. Looking at the ingredient list I thought these would be very flavorful with cherry and almond flavoring. But it is still mostly a shortbread cookie. The cherry flavor is light and I would not have been pleased with the taste without the kiss on top. With it, they are very, very good. I made as directed and got exactly 4 dozen. I did have to chill the dough for several hours; it was a sticky mess beforehand. Unfortunately I could not find cherry kisses, so made do with milk chocolate meltaway kisses. Now I'm not sure if the chocolate will harden!