Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in my Great Grandmothers Recipe Box, per a recipe request.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped rough
- Pre heat oven to 375 and grease well cookie sheets.
- Combine butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and flour.
- Will be stiff.
- Stir in chopped cherries.
- Form into balls and place on sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, DO NOT LET BROWN.
These had exactly the flavor I remember from MY grandmother's recipe. Not too sweet (so just perfect for my taste!). Thanks, DI!!
These were great!! Not too sweet, but full of cherry flavor. In our house, we're divided on sweetness, so I mixed a little of the cherry juice with confectioners sugar and made a glaze. I drizzled it over half of them and left the remainder just the way they were. I'll definitely make them again.
These were great cookies, and very festive looking on my Christmas goody trays! The others were right-- not too sweet. I like sweet, so I also made a glaze with the cherry juice and powdered sugar, and sprinkled them with red crystal sugar while the glaze was still wet. Very easy and quick to prepare, as well! Thanks Di!