Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
My favorite soda is Diet Cherry Coke and one of my favorite fruits of the fall is apples. I was very anxious to try this recipe that pairs the two. I loved it! The only thing I tweeked was the use of raisins. I'm not much on those.
Top Review by ladypit
We loved this! My apples were small so I used 5. I used a mixed raisin combo and some chopped Oklahoma pecans. Instead of a tiny pat of butter we used a bit of spray butter. I think, honestly, that it would be fine without it. And while the nuts were fine, I also think it would be fine without it. The sauce on this is lovely and all 4 of us enjoyed this as a relatively healthy end to our meal. I didn't feel, from looking at the detailed nutritional breakdown, like the nutrition info is quite right. As near as I can figure this would be about 3 WW points a piece, making it with 5 apples as I did. We also added a tbsp. of fat free cool-whip! Yum. Thanks!!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup other dried fruit, if desired
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup splenda brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 4 medium granny smith apples, cored
- 3⁄4 cup diet cherry soda
- 2 teaspoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine raisins, walnuts, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon. Place apples in baking dish. Fill the center with the fruit/nut mixture.
- Pour the soda over the apples. Dot each apple with 1/2 teaspoons butter. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon.
- Bake until apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Serve with sauce from the baking dish.