Recipe by Mooseybear
No, I'm not kidding, and I'm neither on crack nor cracking up. This is darn tasty chicken, easy enough for a weeknight and pretty enough for company. Just be sure you throw away the tell-tale Coke can so they won't know about your secret ingredient.
Top Review by Leta
A delicious way to prepare chicken breasts. The sauce thickens as it simmers, making a wonderful glaze. I used the chicken broth and coke combination. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 dashes fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup Coke (or 1/2 c. Coke and 1/2 c. chicken stock)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup mixed dried berries (I use a mix of dried cherries, blueberries and cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix the flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and pound them to about 1/2" thickness.
- Dredge them lightly in the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onions in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken and brown the other side for a few minutes more.
- Add the Coke, cherries, garlic and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Dissolve corn starch in water, then add to sauce mixture, and simmer until sauce is thickened and glossy.
- Pour over chicken and serve.