Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
No, I'm not kidding, and I'm neither on crack nor cracking up. This is darn tasty chicken, easy enough for a weeknight and pretty enough for company. Just be sure you throw away the tell-tale Coke can so they won't know about your secret ingredient.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 dashes fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup Coke (or 1/2 c. Coke and 1/2 c. chicken stock)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup mixed dried berries (I use a mix of dried cherries, blueberries and cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, mix the flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and pound them to about 1/2" thickness.
- Dredge them lightly in the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onions in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken and brown the other side for a few minutes more.
- Add the Coke, cherries, garlic and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Dissolve corn starch in water, then add to sauce mixture, and simmer until sauce is thickened and glossy.
- Pour over chicken and serve.
A delicious way to prepare chicken breasts. The sauce thickens as it simmers, making a wonderful glaze. I used the chicken broth and coke combination. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.
My oh my oh my! I cannot say enough good about this recipe. My husband's first words were "out of this world". This was indeed delicious, and so easy to boot! I used Pepsi as I am not a big Coke fan, and it turned out just fantstic. This goes into the keeper book for sure. Thanks so much Moxie for this fabulous recipe!!
This was good. Next time I will just fry the chicken and keep it warm rather than simmer it in the coke. It came out tasting kinda like microwaved or boiled chicken. The sauce was really good. The cherries were great. Like I said next time I will fry or grill the chicken and then just pour the sauce over it. Thanks for a great conversation starting recipe. Most people I told about this just said..."What?"