Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love yeast breads. And I love coffee cake. I made this for easter brunch one year and it went over well. This is really good. I store it in the refrigerater.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups cake mix, flour, and yeast in a bowl.
- Add warm water, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in eggs.
- Spoon batter into a greased 13 x9 inch pan.
- Spoon pie filling evenly over batter; set aside.
- Cut butter into remaining cake mix with a fork until mixture is crumbly- Sprinkle or pie filling.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar, corn syrup and water for glaze and drizzle over cake.
What a great idea for a sweet yeast cake! I took one to church yesterday, and I was glad I took a taste while I was cutting it up, because it was gone so fast! I skipped the glaze, though. It was already sweet enough.
I had clipped this recipe from Taste of Home several years ago, and just got around to making it today, to take to a brunch. It was great! One difference between that recipe and this one is that the TOH recipe called for one envelope of active dry yeast, which is actually less than 1 tblsp. I don't think it matters, though. I found it cooked fine in 30 min. in a Pyrex pan--but those cook a little quicker than metal sometimes. I pulsed the reserved cake mix and butter together in the food processor instead of cutting the butter in by hand. I think the cherry filling was delicious, but I bet it'd be great with blueberry or apple, too.
What a great recipe. I have never made a coffee cake, and wanted to take a special treat to some great people in another department/building, and I chose this one. This was super quick and easy to put together. I did have to cook it quite a bit longer. I think I used a smaller pan then stated. I used a disposable one so I wouldn't have to worry about my pan, and I think it was smaller. i will definately make this again, and I can't wait to try different pie fillings and maybe a cream cheese filling. Thank you for sharing this recipe