Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from a Banana Bread recipe, this moist and fruity bread is a great substitute.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh pitted cherries (if you use frozen, be sure to drain well)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, plus enough milk to make 1/2 cup liquid (becomes buttermilk)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans (optional)
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at at time and beat until fluffy. Add salt and baking soda until well mixed. Add flour alternately with cherries and milk mixture, beating constantly. Add coconut and nuts.
- Turn into buttered loaf pan and bake at 350 for 60 to 70 minutes.
Delicious! Similar to a pound cake but lighter because there is less butter. I used finely chopped almonds for the nuts and had to sub lemon juice for the vinegar but other than that followed the recipe exactly. The combo of the fresh cherries, coconut and almond is very yummy. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting.