Recipe from Nestle Australia website and also shown in March 2010 Australian Coeliac Magazine- featured as the cover recipe. I'm personally not a fan of Copha.....so wont be using it in my eggs. The photo on the site looks delicious - check it out on the link given below Use gluten-free ingredients if any variations are made to suit gf diet. Cooking time does not include refrigeration . This recipe uses Australian Metric measuring cups. 1 cup =250 mls....so if you are using US cups then I would measure in an extra 1/2 to 3/4 cup of coconut. Recipe makes 36 larger or up to 50 smaller eggs. We make the smaller size as the eggs are very rich for little tummies. You can see my eldest daughter Nadene making the eggs in the Kids Cooking Forum- http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=328855 original recipe here - http://www.nestle.com.au/nestlerecipe/recipe/Cherry-Coconut-Easter-Eggs-Recipe.aspx
Cherry Coconut Centre Ingredients
- 4 cups desiccated coconut
- 300 g chopped red glace cherries
- red food coloring
- 375 g sweetened condensed milk (a whole can)
Chocolate Coating Ingredients
- 375 g dark chocolate melts or 375 g dark chocolate or 375 g white chocolate
- 30 g Copha, white vegetable shortening (optional) or 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional) or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- Combine the dessicated coconut, chopped cherries, a few drops of red food colouring and the condensed milk in a bowl and mix well. Add colouring a little at a time until you get a bright colour. We aimed for something like a 'cherry ripe' chocolate bar colour.
- Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture into egg shapes. Squeeze the mix together and roll into ball shapes. Then shape with your hands to make oval egg shapes. If the mixture is too soft -- add a little more coconut and mix thoroughly.
- Place eggs on a tray and refrigerate until firm.
- Combine the melted chocolate with the copha or oil. You can just use chocolate without the copha or oil- these just give a glossier looking finish to the eggs.
- Dip eggs into chocolate and again refrigerate.
- Decorate as desired with melted NESTLÉ Dark Melts or White Melts (or any chocolate will do -really) that have been coloured with red food colouring.