Recipe by Amy Nichols
I found this recipe in the 2003 Taste of Home Cookbook. I made this because I wanted a dessert, but was in desperate need to go to the store. So, I began the search for a dessert with the ingredients I had, and found this. It is simply wonderful! It is now one of our favorites!
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened,divided (no substitutes)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄4 teaspoon real vanilla
- 18 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream 1/2 c butter and sugar.
- Beat in flour and cocoa (mixture will be crumbly).
- Spread into a greased 9" square baking dish.
- Bake at 350* for 15 minutes or until surface is set.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and remaining butter; beat in milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread over crust.
- Pat cherries dry with paper towel; arrange over frosting and press down gently.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over cherries.
- Refrigerate until glaze has hardened.
- Cut into squares.