1 hr 15 mins
Amy Nichols's Note:
I found this recipe in the 2003 Taste of Home Cookbook. I made this because I wanted a dessert, but was in desperate need to go to the store. So, I began the search for a dessert with the ingredients I had, and found this. It is simply wonderful! It is now one of our favorites!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened,divided (no substitutes)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon real vanilla
- 18 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1In a mixing bowl, cream 1/2 c butter and sugar.
- 2Beat in flour and cocoa (mixture will be crumbly).
- 3Spread into a greased 9" square baking dish.
- 4Bake at 350* for 15 minutes or until surface is set.
- 5Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and remaining butter; beat in milk and vanilla until smooth.
- 7Spread over crust.
- 8Pat cherries dry with paper towel; arrange over frosting and press down gently.
- 9In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth.
- 10Drizzle over cherries.
- 11Refrigerate until glaze has hardened.
- 12Cut into squares.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Cocoa Shortbread Squares
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.0
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 9.0 mg
- Sodium 24.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 0.5 g