Recipe by Petdrwife
This recipe is courtesy of Wolfgang Puck and GMA. It looked so yummy and he said you could use blackberries, peaches or any kind of seasonal fruit. The cast seemed to enjoy it.
For the shortcake topping
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled, cut into small chunks)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
For the filling and garnish
- 2 lbs fresh cherries (pitted)
- 1⁄4 cup clover honey
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled, cut into small pieces, plus butter for the pan)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with the shortcake topping:.
- Put the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a food processor fitted with the stainless-steel blade; turn the machine on and off a few times to combine.
- Add the chilled butter and pulse the machine several times until the butter is chopped up into small pieces the size of gravel.
- With the motor running, pour the cream through the feed tube; stop processing the moment the dough barely begins to form a ball.
- Gather the dough together and transfer to a lightly floured work surface.
- With a lightly floured rolling pin, gently press or roll out the dough to an 8-inch by 8-inch square.
- With a large, sharp knife or pastry trimmer, neatly trim the edges of the square; then, cut it into 9 equal squares.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, transfer the squares to the baking sheet.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until needed.
- Now move on to the fruit filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. while you make the filling.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cherries, honey, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the lemon juice and Kirsch, and stir into the cherry mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan or a 2-quart baking dish with the soft butter.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the buttered pan.
- Dot its surface with the chilled butter.
- Arrange the chilled shortcake squares neatly on top of the filling in the pan.
- Brush the shortcake with the heavy cream and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the shortcake is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it to settle at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- To serve:.
- Use a large spoon to transfer each square of shortcake and the filling beneath it to individual dessert plates.
- Spoon some powdered sugar into a fine meshed sieve held over the cobbler and tap the side of the sieve to dust each portion.
- Add a scoop of ice cream for each guest who would like one, and serve.