1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is courtesy of Wolfgang Puck and GMA. It looked so yummy and he said you could use blackberries, peaches or any kind of seasonal fruit. The cast seemed to enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the shortcake topping
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled, cut into small chunks)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
For the filling and garnish
- 2 lbs fresh cherries (pitted)
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled, cut into small pieces, plus butter for the pan)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2Start with the shortcake topping:.
- 3Put the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a food processor fitted with the stainless-steel blade; turn the machine on and off a few times to combine.
- 4Add the chilled butter and pulse the machine several times until the butter is chopped up into small pieces the size of gravel.
- 5With the motor running, pour the cream through the feed tube; stop processing the moment the dough barely begins to form a ball.
- 6Gather the dough together and transfer to a lightly floured work surface.
- 7With a lightly floured rolling pin, gently press or roll out the dough to an 8-inch by 8-inch square.
- 8With a large, sharp knife or pastry trimmer, neatly trim the edges of the square; then, cut it into 9 equal squares.
- 9Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, transfer the squares to the baking sheet.
- 10Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until needed.
- 11Now move on to the fruit filling.
- 12Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. while you make the filling.
- 13In a medium bowl, stir together the cherries, honey, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- 14Dissolve the cornstarch in the lemon juice and Kirsch, and stir into the cherry mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- 15Grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan or a 2-quart baking dish with the soft butter.
- 16Spoon the fruit mixture into the buttered pan.
- 17Dot its surface with the chilled butter.
- 18Arrange the chilled shortcake squares neatly on top of the filling in the pan.
- 19Brush the shortcake with the heavy cream and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- 20Bake in the preheated oven until the shortcake is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 21Remove from the oven and let it to settle at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- 22To serve:.
- 23Use a large spoon to transfer each square of shortcake and the filling beneath it to individual dessert plates.
- 24Spoon some powdered sugar into a fine meshed sieve held over the cobbler and tap the side of the sieve to dust each portion.
- 25Add a scoop of ice cream for each guest who would like one, and serve.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Cobbler With Shortcake Topping
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.8
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.4 mg
- Sodium 335.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 52.7 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: