Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from BH&G Diabetic recipes. Serve with low-fat ice cream, if desired.
Make and share this Cherry Cobbler With Cornbread Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen dark sweet cherries, unsweetened and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Coat 4 10-oz custard cups or individual baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the filling, in a medium saucepan, combine cherries, orange juice and cornstarch. Let stand 20 minutes.
- For topping, in a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and allspice. Using a pastry blender (or fingers), cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in middle of cornmeal mixture; set aside.
- Cook and stir the filling mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Divide filling mixture evenly among the 4 prepared cups or dishes.
- In a small bowl beat egg white and milk with a fork until well mixed. Pour into the well in the cornmeal mixture, all at once. Using a fork, stir until just moistened. Spoon a mound of this mixture onto each cup or dish of hot filling mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean.
- Serve warm.