Recipe by grandma2969
my husband requests this recipe a lot..yummy!! We use Cool Whip for the whipped topping..
Top Review by soonermama
Grandma, I made this cake because my 15 yr. old son loves cherries in anything. I didn't expect my husband, who dislikes them, to even try it. WOW! To my surprise, everyone was going back for seconds (and I caught my husband going in for thirds!). We loved it warm with vanilla ice cream - thanks!
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 (16 ounce) canspitted tart red cherries
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- red food coloring
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.grease and flour 13x9 baking pan.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into pan.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch in large bowl. Add cherries with juice, melted butter and almond extract and 8-12 drops of red food coloring. Stir until blended.
- Spoon cherry mixture over batter.
- Bake at 350* for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold with whipped topping.