Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cobbler will receive top honors, with or without ice cream.
- 6 cups pitted fresh cherries (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ice cream (optional)
- Bring cherries, 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 cup water, and, if desired, food coloring to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 3 tbsp butter, lemon rind, and almond extract.
- Pour int a lightly greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- Combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add milk, 1/4 cup butter, and vanilla; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes.
- Add egg; beat 2 minutes.
- Spoon over cherry mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden, shielding with aluminum foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.
- Cool in dish on wire rack 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.