Recipe by Aroostook
Feel free to use canned pie filling if pinched for time!
Top Review by Foodie61
This was so very good!!! I used the tart cherries instead of the pie filling; to me the flavor was much better than the pie filling usually is. The only thing I did differently, was after topping the warm cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, I decided to drizzle some chocolate syrup lightly over the entire dish - my entire family loved it! It was like eating chocolate covered cherries! Wonderful recipe!
- 2 cups pitted tart cherries, undrained (1 - 20 oz. can)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cobblers mixture: Sift all dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Mix milk and beaten egg.
- Add all at once to dry ingredients.
- Stir just to moisten.
- Fruit base:.
- Combine cherries, sugar and tapioca.
- Cook until thick and clear about 15 minutes.
- Stir in butter, almond extract and salt.
- Pour hot mixture into 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Drop spoonsful of cobbler topping over hot cherry mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is browned.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or heavy cream.