Recipe by LaJuneBug
If you like the German-style baked apple pancake, this is a French version using cherries. Traditionally, this is a desert but makes a delicious brunch! You will need an oven-proof pan, which the recipe recommended 9" but my 10" worked fine.. From Joy of Baking.com.
Cherry Clafoutis Batter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 lb fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cherry Clafoutis: Preheat the oven to 425F (220C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Wash the cherries, remove the stems and pits.
- In your food processor or blender (or by hand using a wire whisk), place the flour salt eggs sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Process for about 60 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Once the batter is completely smooth, let it rest while you prepare the fruit.
- In a 9-inch (23cm) heavy ovenproof skillet (preferably non-stick), melt the butter over medium heat making sure the melted butter coats the bottom and sides of the pan. When the butter is bubbling, add the pitted cherries and cook until the cherries have softened a bit and are coated with butter (about 2 minutes). Then sprinkle the cherries with the sugar and cook until the sugar has dissolved and turns into a syrup (1-2 minutes). Pour the batter over the cherries and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until the clafoutis is puffed, set, and golden brown around the edges. Do not open the oven door until the end of the baking time or it may collapse. Serve immediately with a dusting of contectioners sugar and yogurt, creme fraiche or softly whipped cream.