Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
When fresh cherries are in season this makes a delicious, simple desert. Serve warm with a little pouring cream or vanilla frozen yogurt...YUM. Recipe from a Mediterranean cookbook. ( You can use 2 15 oz. cans of stoned black cherries, thoroughly drained, if fresh aren't available.) You might also add kirsch to the batter for a special dessert!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter the base and sides of a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Stone the cherries and place in the dish.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Add the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and a little of the milk and whish to a smooth batter.
- Gradually whisk in the rest of the milk and butter (add 3 tblsp kirsch to batter now if desired), then strain (with a tight mesh strainer) the batter over the cherries.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden and just set.
- Serve warm, dusted with sugar, if you like.
This tasted great--very good comfort food!--but I could never get it to set up right in the oven. It was very watery in the center of the dish. I'm not sure whether it's how I beat the batter or whether it is the recipe--if I make this again, I'll try to be more careful and edit this review! That said, this was still a yummy recipe and I think a little almond extract might make this even more enticing. Thanks for posting!