Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
For higher fiber, try using Eagle Mills all-purpose flour with ultragrain. This came from a leaflet. I have not tried this just posting for safe keeping.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup argo cornstarch or 1⁄4 cup kingsfords cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sunsweet cherries
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate (1/4 cup) or 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Mix butter, sugar and almond extract throughly using an electric mixer. Gradually blend in flour and corn starch. Add cherries and chocolate.
- Form into 1"-inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets. Pour sugar on a small plate; dip bottom of drinking glass in sugar and gently press down on each cookie to flatten.
- Bake in a preheated 300 oven for 20-30 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle by placing 2-ounces chocolate and shortening in a small resealable plastic freezer bag. Microwave on HIGH for about 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted. Snip off the corner and drizzle over cookies.
My daughter's favorite cookie this year. We made them without the chocolate and put 1/2 of a cherry in center of each before baking and they were delicious. Not too super sweet and great for dunking!