Recipe by Nana Lee
Pancake Mix, cocoa and cherry-pie filling transform into a delicious dessert with the flavors of the famous Black Forest cake. Sooooo easy!
Top Review by FightingwithFood
I was incredibly skeptical when I mixed the batter in with the brown sugar/water/cocoa mixture. It just seemed like the liquid would just cook over. It actually turned into a rich, decadent pudding! I originally used this to get rid of a can of cherry pie filling, but it's going on my regular dessert rotation. This was awesome and is still getting rave reviews - 2 days after the cake has been devoured!
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups complete pancake & waffle mix (Just Add Water Type)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F
- In ungreased 13x9-inch pan, combine brown sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa and hot water; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- In large bowl, combine pancake mix, sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Stir in oil, almond extract, eggs and pie filling; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter over sauce mixture in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.