Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Pancake Mix, cocoa and cherry-pie filling transform into a delicious dessert with the flavors of the famous Black Forest cake. Sooooo easy!
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups complete pancake & waffle mix (Just Add Water Type)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Heat oven to 350°F
- In ungreased 13x9-inch pan, combine brown sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa and hot water; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- In large bowl, combine pancake mix, sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Stir in oil, almond extract, eggs and pie filling; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter over sauce mixture in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
I was incredibly skeptical when I mixed the batter in with the brown sugar/water/cocoa mixture. It just seemed like the liquid would just cook over. It actually turned into a rich, decadent pudding! I originally used this to get rid of a can of cherry pie filling, but it's going on my regular dessert rotation. This was awesome and is still getting rave reviews - 2 days after the cake has been devoured!
Calling all chocoholics, you really must try this one! So easy to make and bake for unexpected company. With my friends and family this would never serve 15 without causing a war. I would say 8 servings. Thanks Nana.