These cherry cookies are awesome!
Make and share this Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In small bowl, soak cherries in hot water for at least 10 minutes.
- Do not discard water!
- In mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, orange peel and vanilla.
- Combine oats, flour soda, cinnamon and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture beating til combined.
- Stir in cherries and chips with water you soaked the cherries inches.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon fulls 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes or til edges are lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheets to wire rack.
Followed the directions exactly and they are delicious!
I substituted the dried cherries for marashino cherries and didn't soak them in water. I also used only about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and the rest white. They turned out really good and I look forward to making them again!