This is one of my grandmother's famous church ladies' luncheon recipes. The cake itself is simple and turns out moist with morsels of cherries throughout. With the cake being so simple, that allows time to make a fabulous frosting. For the frosting, use Elaine's Fudge Frosting or your preferred chocolate frosting. (Note: Preparation time does not include time required for cake or frosting to set.) In response to one of my reviews, I have adjusted the ingredients to improve the cake--omitted the vegetable oil and replaced it with water and eggs. This recipe is an old one of my grandmother's. I have not made it myself and wonder if her recollection of the ingredients was incorrect. Hopefully the 1-star review doesn't discourage anyone from trying the adjusted cake recipe. I'm not sure what was so terrible about the cake--if it was too dry, too moist, etc. Please be brave, try and give me your thoughts! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Sift cake mix into a medium mixing bowl until all lumps are removed. Then add other three ingredients and thoroughly combine. (Note: Be careful to not break up the cherries too much while combining).
- 3Pour cake batter into a greased 9" x 13" cake pan and spread evenly.
- 4Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- 5Allow to cool on a wire rack for one hour.
- 6When ready to frost the cake, prepare Elaine's Fudge Frosting as directed. Apply to cake immediately, spreading evenly.
- 7Allow to set for 30-40 minutes.
- 8Cut into 15-20 slices and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry-Chocolate Cake With Fudge Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.9
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 302.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 3.4 g