Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful cherry chocolate cake my mother made for every single birthday I had growing up. Now I make it for myself at least once a year! The frosting is unusual, not as sweet as most, and the chilled taste is out of this world!!! It's great for parties since you can make it the night before and it remains perfect in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve!
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry Jell-O
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) envelopes Dream Whip
- Preheat oven as directed on cake mix.
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.
- Line bottom of each cake pan with waxed paper.
- Prepare and back cake mix as directed.
- Five minutes before cakes are finished, heat water to boiling.
- Remove from heat, stir in jello until dissolved.
- Carefully invert cakes onto plates.
- Carefully remove waxed paper from top of each cake half, spoon jello mixture evenly across each cake.
- Chill 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Using a high speed setting on mixer, beat milk, pudding, and dream whip until desired consistency.
- You can vary the amount of milk slightly to achive desired consistency.
- Frost a 1" circle around the diameter of the bottom cake half.
- Place half of the cherry pie filling inside the frosting circle.
- Place top half of cake on bottom, repeat frosting of circle.
- Frost the sides.
- Place remaining pie filling in center circle on top of cake.
- Refrigerate until serving.