When I need an easy cake, this is the one I make. This recipe has the cake followed by the frosting, and the frosting does set up quickly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put cake mix, eggs, vanilla, water, and pie filling into a large bowl; mix together by hand.
- Spray a 9 X 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Pour cake batter into pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool cake.
- To make frosting: put sugar, milk, and butter in a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Let boil for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add chips and vanilla.
- Use hand mixer and beat at high speed until desired consistency.
- This sets quickly so spread onto cake immediately.
Wow, this was wonderful. We don't have cherry pie filling here, so I used a tin of cherries & added the syrup to the cake instead of water. This was so easy to make & the result was a lovely moist cake with a subtle cherry taste. I made it for a celebration at work & everyone has asked for the recipe. Thanks WiGal for sharing this keeper.