Recipe by FLKeysJen
So easy and no one will guess what's in the secret sauce. Serve hot over white rice!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Followed your ingredients right on down, although I was sorely tempted to substitute something else for the coffee & even more surprised that the taste was hardly noticeable! We very much enjoyed the cherry flavor in this chicken dish & my other half particularly appreciated the inclusion of the coffee! Many thanks! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast, julienned in bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts or 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup pitted whole cherries (frozen is easiest-thaw in refrigerator several hours before)
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄3 ounce jello sugar-free black cherry gelatin (one .3 oz or 8.5g package)
- 1 cup strong brewed black coffee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Fold together the marinade ingredients and dump into a plastic bag with sliced chicken; marinate chicken for at least five minutes.
- In the meantime, add all secret sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor, and pulse a few times until well-blended. It will foam a little bit.
- Heat oil over high heat in a large skillet or wok. Stir-fry the meat for 2-3 minutes or until it turns color. Don't overcook, as it will be back in the pan again. Transfer to a platter.
- Add a little more peanut oil to the wok if it needs it. Stir fry water chestnuts and green onions (reserving some for garnish) for two minutes; add secret sauce and bring to a boil, then cook for two minutes. Return meat, add cherries and stir thoroughly to heat through.
- Remove from heat; garnish with reserved green onion and serve hot over rice.