Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Had this last night at a friend's house, and it was FABULOUS. My friend kept saying, "This won't be the most delicious dinner you've ever had, but it's really healthy!" But she was wrong -- it was delicious. If you want to lighten the recipe, use cooking spray instead of oil, and use water chestnuts instead of almonds.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger (use fresh ginger root, minced)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 ounces dark sweet cherries (pitted and halved, or use dried cherries)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, toasted and sliced
- 12 romaine leaves
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and chicken and saute until cooked thoroughly (about 7-10 minutes). Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together the reserve two teaspoons of oil, rice vinegar, teriyaki sauce, and honey, until mixed thoroughly. Add chicken mixture, cherries, carrot, green onion, and almonds; toss together.
- To serve, spoon 1/12 of the chicken/cherry mixture onto the center of each lettuce leaf. Roll leaf around filling and serve.
OMG! FABULOUS only begins to describe this meal. I've always loved chicken lettuce wraps, but the cherries make it unique.
This was even better than I thought!! I used dried cherries since that's what was available and sesame oil for the sauce instead of regular oil, and it really gave it a nice Asian flavor with the ginger. We added some flax seeds for dietary reasons, and they went well, as would sesame seeds (yes, I love sesame...). I was a little concerned that this would be too sweet for my other half with the cherries, but it wasn't because they added such a great almost tart/sweet taste. We both loved this so much, and it makes eating healthier taste so very, very good! Thank you for sharing this.