Had this last night at a friend's house, and it was FABULOUS. My friend kept saying, "This won't be the most delicious dinner you've ever had, but it's really healthy!" But she was wrong -- it was delicious. If you want to lighten the recipe, use cooking spray instead of oil, and use water chestnuts instead of almonds.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger (use fresh ginger root, minced)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 ounces dark sweet cherries (pitted and halved, or use dried cherries)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, toasted and sliced
- 12 romaine leaves
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and chicken and saute until cooked thoroughly (about 7-10 minutes). Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together the reserve two teaspoons of oil, rice vinegar, teriyaki sauce, and honey, until mixed thoroughly. Add chicken mixture, cherries, carrot, green onion, and almonds; toss together.
- To serve, spoon 1/12 of the chicken/cherry mixture onto the center of each lettuce leaf. Roll leaf around filling and serve.