Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe uses cherry pie filling mixed with canned Bing cherries in heavy syrup. The flavor balance seems just right! =)
- 1 (15 ounce) box French vanilla cake mix or 1 (15 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (20 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (15 ounce) canof bing cherries in heavy syrup
- 2 (4 ounce) boxes French vanilla instant pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 pint whipping cream, beaten until stiff
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar or 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Prepare cake as per package directions in a 9x13 pan.
- Bake in a 9x13 inch pan.
- Break the cooled cake into small pieces and set aside.
- Mix the two cans of pie filling and cherries together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Prepare pudding mix/milk according to package directions.
- Stir in nutmeg and let set up in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Prepare whipped cream: Beat chilled cream until stiff.
- Add vanilla and sugar and mix well.
- First layer:Sprinkle the bottom of a 3 quart clear glass bowl with half of the cake pieces.
- Second layer: Spread cake with half of the pudding.
- Third layer: Spoon half of the cherries on the pudding.
- Fouth layer: spread half of the whipped cream on the cherries.
- Sprinkle top whipped cream layer with a sprinkling of nutmeg.