Recipe by Annacia
OK, this is made at home but I can't call it from scratch. It's mostly made up of helpers which can be a blessing on a busy day. That doesn't mean that these are going to fail the taste test by any means, in fact, I think you'll find these cupcakes are a real hit. The frosting isn't included but just use your favorite vanilla frosting.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Delectably delicious! These cupcakes are well worth the effort and sooo good! The cherries just ooze out of the cream cheese filling and then you have the scrumptious cupcake itself surrounding it. I ate mine with a fork because I didn't want to miss out on any of it. I didn't add any icing -- they were great just as is. Will definitely make these cupcakes again. Made for PRMR, July, 2013.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (19 ounce) can cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare cake batter as directed on package for the light or low-fat version, set aside.
- Mix cream cheese, egg and sugar until well blended.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the cherry pie filling for garnish and set aside.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons cake batter into each of 24 paper-lined medium muffin cups.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon each of the cream cheese mixture and the remaining cherry pie filling and cover evenly with remaining cake batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove from pan to wire racks to cool completely.
- Top with your favorite vanilla icing and reserved cherry pie filling just before serving.