Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A cherry cheesecake baked inside a traditional crust! From Woman's Day 10/5/04
- 1 (15 ounce) box refrigerated pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 (8 ounce) packages reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (Neufchatel)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 egg white, in a small bowl
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Fit 1 crust into 9 inch pie plate.
- Unroll remaining crust on a cutting board; cut in 1⁄2-in.-wide strips. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a medium bowl.
- Add cream cheese; beat on medium speed until smooth.
- On low speed, beat in egg and extract until just blended.
- Spread batter evenly in crust; spoon pie filling evenly over top.
- Beat egg white with a fork until foamy. Brush on pastry strips.
- Arrange about 8 strips evenly spaced across pie filing. Place 8 more strips diagonally over first strips to form a lattice (discard remaining strips). Trim and press ends to bottom crust.
- Brush rim with egg white; press on almonds.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until crust is golden brown and cherries bubble.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.