Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in a muffin cookbook by Canadian Living. You can use different jams if you don't have cherry jam. They will freeze very well , just place in a zip lock bag or in an air tight container.
- 1⁄3 cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup whole cherry jam
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped pecans (optional)
- Blend cream cheese with icing sugar, set aside.
- In bowl cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Beat in egg and orange rind.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stirring until blended but do not over mix.
- Spoon into large greased muffin tins , filling 1/2 way up. Add 1 tsp of the cream cheese mixture and 1 tsp of the jam to each. Top with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 until firm to the touch.
- Remove from tins.
I just loved the flavor and texture of these muffins, even if I fixed them wrong. I should have used liners. While I was filling them 1/2 full, then that was all the batter. I thought if I added the cherry and cream cheese mixture, the cake would swallow the filling ingredients - not so. If I had used liners, the 1/2 way point would have been met earlier. So, the filling bubbled up and over, but no matter; the flavor shines through. Next time, (and there will be a next time) I will try to encompass the filling a little better! Thanks for sharing a great recipe, bigbadbrenda.