Recipe by evelyn/athens
A Canadian Living Test Kitchen Recipe. Enjoy this convenient and delicious brunch item, or one of four other lip-smacking morning meals, from our "5 Diner-Style Breakfasts" menu from the May 2006 issue of Canadian Living. Diner-Style Garnish: Strawberries and melon wedges
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup light cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto or 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 slices egg bread (challah) or 8 slices French bread (about 1/2 inch/1 cm thick)
- 1⁄3 cup cherry jam
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half of the granulated sugar and the almond extract; set aside.
- In small bowl, mix cheese, remaining granulated sugar and amaretto; spread over bread. Spread cherry jam over 4 of the slices; sandwich with remaining bread, cheese side down, pressing firmly.
- Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, turning to soak. Place on greased rimmed baking sheet; pour any remaining egg mixture over top. Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.).
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven, turning once, until golden, 25 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds and icing sugar (if using).