Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is part cupcake, part cheesecake and all delicious. It is from the Cupcake Doctor.
Top Review by Sarah L.
Followed this recipe exactly and the outcome was amazing! I made these for my boyfriend's work function and he came back with rave reviews. Something along the lines of, "they were like eating heaven"...haha. I measured out a 1/4 cup batter for each cupcake and in the end I only had 16 instead of 28. The recipe can easily be doubled though, and next time I'll have to do that since people were eating them like crazy! Thanks for the awesome recipe. It's definitely a keeper!
- 28 cupcake liners
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 28 vanilla wafers
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 28 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Prepare the filling: Place cream cheese in small mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla and continue to beat for 1 minute.
- Prepare the cupcake batter: Place the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, eggs and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mix on low for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides, increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Place one vanilla wafer in the bottom of each cupcake liner. Spoon 1/4 cup batter on top of each wafer. Gently dollop 1 heaping tablespoon of filling on top of each cupcake. The cup will be nearly full. Do not shake the pans.
- Bake until the cupcakes are golden and spring back when touched, about 18 to 20 minutes. Cool in pans for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before topping.
- Mist a teaspoon with vegetable oil spray and use this to press down on the cupcake to create an indentation. Place a heaping teaspoon of cherry pie filling in the well of each cupcake. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Store in the refrigerator.