Prep 6 hrs
Cook 1 hr
These are delicious, I have made this and everyone really enjoys it, I think you will too..it is not a dense heavy cheesecake, but more on the light and fluffy side. I have even substituted blueberry pie filling for the cherry. I use two large cans of pie filling, but one can might be suitable, if you prefer a thick topping then use two cans. Remember to chill this cheesecake for 6 or more hours, overnight is even better! Prep time includes chilling time.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups cherry pie filling
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to the second lowest position.
- Grease a 13x9-inch or an 11x7-inch pan (the cheesecake mixture will be higher if made in the 11x7-inch pan, but will bake out just as well, I actually prefer to bake the cheesecake in that size pan) baking pan.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the flour and brown sugar until blended.
- Cut in the 1 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (I do mine on the food processor).
- Add/mix in coconut, oats and chopped pecans or walnuts; stir until well mixed.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of prepared baking dish (this might be a bit "fiddly" as the mixture will be very crumbley, don't worry if there are small areas in the pan that you did not cover, it will all spread out when baking).
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the topping, in another bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon peel with an electric mixer until blended and smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Pour over crust, and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until center is set.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread with fruit filling over cooled cheesecake.
- Cover pan and refrigerate for a minumum of 6 hours (or overnight).
- Cut into 18 bars.