Recipe by heather in Ont,
These are a very soft delicious cookie. I made 8 dz for a cookie exchange at Christmas last year and they were a hit. These have to be one of the family's favourite. The first batch was gone in no time. The cream cheese adds a nice flavour to this cookie. If you like cherries you can add more by pressing 3 or 4 dried cherries into the tops of cookies before baking.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
These turned out good & they were tasty. For our tastes they were abit too sweet & abit 'cakey' also but buttermilk will normally do that. Liked the combination of cream cheese, cherries & cardamom flavours.
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained & chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- powdered sugar, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Toss chopped cherries and 2 Tbsp flour: set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Beat in egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Beat in 2 1/3 cups flour, the cardamom, baking powder and baking soda on low speed just until flour is moistened.
- Stir in cherries (Dough may be streaked with pink).
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 to 14 min or until bottoms are light golden.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack;cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.