Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From scratch start to finish and completely well worth the effort! These brownies taste amazing with a combination of caramel and dried cherry jam. I got this from Bon Appetite Mag. I say try it as is to start and make changes from there-I love adding walnuts or using a different dried fruit, even a little cayenne makes it interesting.
For the jam
- 4 ounces dried tart cherries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
For the brownies
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened!) or 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For jam:.
- In small saucepan over medium-low heat combine sugar and 1/4 cup water, heating until sugar disolves.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, occasionally swirling the pan, about 9 minutes.
- Immediately add dried cherries and cream to the carmel.
- Cover pan, remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Transfer cherry and carmel mixture to processor, add vinegar and blend just until smooth.
- For brownies:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 13x9x2 inch metal baking pan.
- Stir 8 oz chopped chocolate, butter and cream in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth. Cool to lukewarm, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chocolate mixture.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt over, then stir to blend.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Drop all of jam onto batter by tablespoonfuls, spacing evenly apart. Pull tip of small knife through jam pockets to swirl slightly into batter.
- Bake brownies until puffed and dry-looking on top and tester inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes.
- Cool brownies in pan on rack then cut around pan sides. Cut brownie cake lengthwise into 3 strips, then each strip crosswise into 6 brownies. Makes 18.
I'm so glad to find this recipe here! I used it years ago from Bon Apettit, I made it over and over and loved it every time. Sadly I lost the recipe, and have been missing it for years. Thank you to CharityAnn for posting it on this website. It will once again be my go to brownie recipe.