Recipe by Aroostook
My sister-in-law, Jeanette, is a great cook. This is one of my favorite cakes! Thanks, Net!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 16 maraschino cherries (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cherry juice
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 package confectioners' sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- chopped maraschino cherry, and juice from cherries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- milk, to give frosting the consistancy you desire
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add cherry juice and milk and mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Add cherries and nuts and mix well.
- Fold in egg whites last.
- Bake for 45 minutes or so.
- Cool and frost.