Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake has a rich cherry taste that makes it a hard to resist cake. Beautiful for Christmas time for a special buffet, you can add some nice holly sprigs to decorate it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup well drained,chopped maraschino cherry
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- heat the oven to 325.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla and mix till well blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each one.
- gradually add 2 cups of the flour with baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Toss remaining 1/4 cup of flour with cherries and chopped nuts.
- Fold into the batter.
- Grease a 10" bundt pan; pour batter inches Bake 1 hr and 20 minute to 1 1/2 hours test with cake tester.
- Cool in wire rack for 5 minute then remove.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Combine icing sugar and milk, mix well and drizzle over the cake.
- Garnish with additional cherries and nuts if you like.I have not personally froze this cake but I tend to think it would freeze good.
The cake had a great flavor but I overcooked mine. I used a dark coated bundt pan and cooked at 325 in a convection oven for 1 hour. I should have pulled it out after about 50 min as it was drier than I would have preferred.
This is a wonderful cake, lovely and moist and lovely in flavour. I used my new nordicware rose pan and it looked beautiful too! Id like to try it with a little almond essence as well. Straight to my favourite file, thanks for sharing.
Thank you Shirl(j)831 for sharing your recipe. My family and I loved this awesome cake. It made a tall, moist on the inside and crunchy on the outside cake. I didn't have any marashino cherries so I subed with some frozen sour cherries, and finished the cake with a cherry buttercreme frosting.