Recipe by Dudemickgal
Taste of Home
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We really enjoyed this delicious salad. The salad dressing is a nice balance between sweet and tart (we used a natural sweetner vs. sugar). The dressing is a nice compliment to the sugared almonds, cherries and cheese. The only changes I made was to use Truvia vs. the sugar and I used stone-ground dijon mustard vs. dry ground mustard. I also left out the poppy seeds as DH doesn't like them. Made for Spring PAC, April, 2014.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup crisco extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 (8 ounce) round brie cheese, rind removed and cubed
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine first 5 ingredients; shake until sugar is dissolved.
- For salad, in a heavy skillet, melt butter over med. heat. Add almonds and cook and stir until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar; cook and stir until sugar is melted, about 3 minutes. Spread on foil to cool; break apart.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, cheese and cherries. Shake dressing; drizzle over salad. Sprinkle with sugared almonds and toss to coat.