Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A quickbread recipe from my son's children's cookbook.
- 1 3⁄4 cups self rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces finely chopped almonds
- 5 ounces maraschino cherries, drained and coarsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9" x 5" x 3.5" loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together flour, butter, sugar and eggs with wooden spoon until fluffy.
- Fold in cherries and almonds.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 70-75 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Leave set for about 15 minutes and remove from pan to wire rack to cool further.
I too liked the flavor but it was a little on the dry side. I only baked mine 50 minutes and I think it still was a bit over cooked.
Parsley, this bread has a wonderful flavor but turned out to be dry and I cant figure out why. I did mix it all like it stated and by hand, did not have any almonds so I added 1 tsp almond extract and about 1/2 cup shredded coconut, and I also used 1/2 cup cherries. I wish I had added some cherry juice to the batter to maybe loosen it up cause it was very thick. The bread tastes wonderful toasted and is great slathered with butter or cream cheese spread. This one I will experiment with. Thanks!