24 hrs 7 mins
This one gets its name from the delightfully bright pop of flavour of the candied cherry tomatoes. You need to make ahead the candied tomatoes, so give yourself time. You may want just to try the Cherry Bomb Dressing and Salad or Grilled Brie Sandwich separately, so be my guest. Adapted from Chef Liana Robberecht from Calgary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- candied tomato (recipe below)
- candied tomato-lemon vinaigrette (recipe below)
- 4 (1/2 inch) thick slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (4 ounce) triple cream brie round, rind cut off and sliced into 4 equal slices
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups cherries (approx 24) or 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half and seeded (approx 24)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 slices lemons, with rind
- 2 slices oranges, with rind
Candied Tomato-Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1To Make Candied Tomatoes: In a glass bowl, combine halved cherry or grape tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf, thyme sprig and rosemary sprig.
- 2Squeeze juice from 2 slices each of lemon and orange and add along with the rind; toss making sure the tomatoes are covered with the sugar.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 4To Complete the Candied Tomatoes: Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat, add tomato mixture and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add 1 tablespoon white wine and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Strain through sieve into a bowl, reserving the liquid. Discard herb stems and rinds. Refrigerate candied tomatoes and liquid to cool.
- 7To Make Candied Tomato-Lemon Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoon reserved candied tomato liquid, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, pinch each of salt and pepper.
- 8Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 9To Complete Brie Grilled Cheese: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 10Place french bread slices on a work surface; butter one side and turn over, buttered side down. Place one slice of Brie on each bread slice.Top two slices evenly with the candied tomatoes and bacon.
- 11Sprinkle each slice of bread with pepper. Cover tomato side with the Brie side, leaving buttered side out.
- 12Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 13Place skillet in oven for 5–7 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Let sandwich rest for 1 minute; cut in half and place on plates; sprinkle with salt.
- 14To Finish: Place salad in a bowl and toss with enough candied tomato-lemon vinaigrette to coat. Divide among plates. Serve with Grilled Brie Sandwich.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Bomb Salad With Grilled Brie Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1202.1
- Calories from Fat 584
- Total Fat 64.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 113.7 mg
- Sodium 1678.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 136.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 120.7 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed salad greens