Recipe by gailanng
This one gets its name from the delightfully bright pop of flavour of the candied cherry tomatoes. You need to make ahead the candied tomatoes, so give yourself time. You may want just to try the Cherry Bomb Dressing and Salad or Grilled Brie Sandwich separately, so be my guest. Adapted from Chef Liana Robberecht from Calgary.
- candied tomatoes (recipe below)
- candied tomato-lemon vinaigrette (recipe below)
- 4 (1/2 inch) thick slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (4 ounce) triple cream brie round, rind cut off and sliced into 4 equal slices
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups cherries (approx 24) or 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half and seeded (approx 24)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 slices lemons, with rind
- 2 slices oranges, with rind
Candied Tomato-Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons candied tomato liquid (from recipe above)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make Candied Tomatoes: In a glass bowl, combine halved cherry or grape tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf, thyme sprig and rosemary sprig.
- Squeeze juice from 2 slices each of lemon and orange and add along with the rind; toss making sure the tomatoes are covered with the sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- To Complete the Candied Tomatoes: Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat, add tomato mixture and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 tablespoon white wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Strain through sieve into a bowl, reserving the liquid. Discard herb stems and rinds. Refrigerate candied tomatoes and liquid to cool.
- To Make Candied Tomato-Lemon Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoon reserved candied tomato liquid, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To Complete Brie Grilled Cheese: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place french bread slices on a work surface; butter one side and turn over, buttered side down. Place one slice of Brie on each bread slice.Top two slices evenly with the candied tomatoes and bacon.
- Sprinkle each slice of bread with pepper. Cover tomato side with the Brie side, leaving buttered side out.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place skillet in oven for 5–7 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Let sandwich rest for 1 minute; cut in half and place on plates; sprinkle with salt.
- To Finish: Place salad in a bowl and toss with enough candied tomato-lemon vinaigrette to coat. Divide among plates. Serve with Grilled Brie Sandwich.