Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is with cherry preserves, from Penzey's Spices. They had it in their recipes for 4th of July. Even my picky DH, who doesn't like fruit in his main dish, likes this. Prep. time includes marinating time.
Top Review by Michelle_My_Belle
This was great. I was skeptical at first, but i recently had a great steak marinaide with grape jelly so i gave it a shot. The ONLY cherry preserves i could find was a 9.5 oz jar of bing cherry spreadable fruit - which made everything sorta a deep red/purple color. I didnt print out the recipe so i didnt even notice you were suppose to heat up the mixture first - didnt seem to hurt it any tho. I made some changes - i didnt have dijon mustard so i used 1 tbsp of spicy brown mustard plus 1 tbsp honey, and used 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper instead of hot sauce and regular soy sauce. I threw half in with the chicken to sit overnight in a plastic bag, turned it twice and the rest in a bowl to brush while cooking. When I cooked it i sorta followed Sydney Mikes advice, and threw it in a dish at 375 for 17 minutes and brushed with the sauce, then drained the dish, flipped and repeted. While that was cooking i heated up what i had saved so the preserves would melt (like i was suppose to in the first place lol), then transfered to a broil pan and gave each side a generous brush and 3 minutes under the broiler. Next time i will grab another jar of preserves, because the sauce is really good and i would have loved some more slathered on after cooking, but i dont like to use the extra from marinadeing for anything. This isnt as sweet as i was anticipateing, which is great, everyone loved it and i will make again.
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) jar cherry preserves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 4 -5 lbs chicken parts, rinsed and patted dry
- green onion, sliced lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- In small saucepan, mix soy sauce, preserves, garlic and mustard.
- Stir over med heat just until preserves are melted and mix is well blended.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce. Cool.
- Arrange chicken in single layer in baking dish just large enough to hold pieces.
- Pour sauce over all and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Lift chicken from marinade, collecting remaining marinade in small bowl.
- Grill chicken over med coals until done, about 25 min, turning frequently and basting with additional marinade.
- Garnish with green onions.