Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
While watching the royal wedding of Prince William and Princess Kate, I was inspired to make scones; nothing else would do. This is the recipe that I developed that morning. I like the combination of dried cherries, blueberries and cranberries, but any dried fruit can be substituted; you are only limited by your imagination.
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄4 cup dried blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place parchment paper on two half-sheet baking pans (parchment paper will make clean-up a snap, or use ungreased baking sheets).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Stir in orange zest and dried fruit (3/4 cup of any dried fruit will do).
- Form a well in the center of the mix and pour in 1 1/2 cup heavy cream. Quickly mix together with a fork until just combined.
- Divide dough into three equal balls.
- On a lightly floured work surface, gently (do not overwork the dough or they will be tough) form each portion into a flatten circle about ¾” thick.
- Cut each circle into 6 triangles. Place triangles on baking sheets, about 1-2” apart.
- Brush each scone with remaining heavy cream; combine the cinnamon and sugar; then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.