Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening
- 6 tablespoons water, cold
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 3 cups tart cherries (Frozen, pitted)
- 1⁄2 cup cherry juice (drained from cherries)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) packet cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, Chopped
- 1 cup fresh raspberry, drained
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten (optional)
- granulated sugar
- almonds, chopped (optional)
- flaked coconut (optional)
- For Crust: Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening and butter flavor shortening with a pastry blender (or 2 knives) until the flour is just blended in to form pea size chunks.
- Combine water and vinegar.
- Sprinkle over flour mixture, 1 tbsp. at a time.
- Toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half.
- Press between hands to form two 5 to 6" pancakes.
- Flour rolling surface and pin lightly.
- Roll dough for bottom crust into a circle.
- Trim 1" larger than upside down 9" pie plate.
- Loosen dough carefully.
- Fold in quarters.
- Press into pie plate.
- Trim edge even with pie plate.
- For Cherry Layer: Thaw and drain enough berries to yield 2 to 2 1/2 cups fruit and 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine cherries, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tbsp. tapioca, 1 1/2 tsp.cornstarch, almond extract and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup cherry juice, 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. tapioca and 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Place on medium heat.
- Cook stirring constantly, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour over cherries.
- Mix gently until cherries are coated.
- Set aside.
- For Cream Cheese Layer: Combine cream cheese, confectioners sugar, almonds, almond extract and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Spread on bottom of unbaked pie shell.
- For Raspberry Layer: Combine raspberries, granulated sugar and cornstarch.
- Mix carefully.
- Spoon over cream cheese layer.
- If desired place raspberry mixture in a saucepan.
- Cook, briefly, until thickened.
- Cool until slightly warm before spooning over cream cheese layer.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spoon cherry mixture over raspberries.
- Moisten pastry edge with water.
- Roll top crust same as the bottom.
- Cut into 10 - 1/2" strips.
- Place 5 strips evenly across filling.
- Fold every other strip back.
- Lay first strip across in opposite direction.
- Continue in this pattern, folding back every other strip each time you add cross strip.
- Trim ends of lattice strips even with crust.
- Press together.
- Fold edge under.
- For Topping: Brush pastry with egg white.
- Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped almonds and flaked coconut 5 minutes before end of baking time, if desired.
- Cool until barely warm or to room temperature before serving.
- Note: If using fresh cherries,use 3 to 4 cups in pie.
- Mash and press additional cherries through a sieve or colander to obtain 1/2 cup of juice.
Very tasty! We only made the rasberry layer, and we added a bit of maple syrup instead of sugar. Delicious!