Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
Here's a recipe that turns humdrum oatmeal into a nutritional antioxidant tasty powerhouse. My kids love that it turns a pretty blue color.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk (more for creamier, less for thicker oatmeal)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried tart cherry
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- Bring water to boil in saucepan.
- add milk, oat and flaxseed and return to boil stirring constantly.
- add cherries and blueberries to pan and cook until thickened, stirring frequently.
- top with brown sugar and nuts and serve.
This was yummy indeed! I used millet flakes instead of oatmeal and topped it with truvia (erythritol with stevia). Perfect blend of sweet and tart - LOVED it!! Thanks for posting!
Made for January Warm-Ups of the Diabetes Forum.
Yummy, yummy oatmeal! But then again, oatmeal is my favorite breakfast food. The combination of fruits is wonderful and I love the tartness from the cherries. I did scale it down to one serving and will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting this. Made for Healthy Choices ABC.