Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
You can use fresh or frozen cherries to make this flavorful barbecue sauce. So good on chicken or ribs. This is going to be one of my all time favorite recipes!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until cherries are tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- My Note: I Purchased the Taste of Home Grill It cookbook and this was one of the recipes I've tried. Made a double batch with fresh bing cherries. The only change made was adding a little kick of heat with an Italian red pepper. EXCELLENT on BBQ whole chicken breast. Will be making an another double batch and canning for future use.
- I like it a little spicy, so I added some sweet hot Asian pepper sauce to it. Finger licking goodness.