Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy sauce using cherry preserves, that is great served alone, or over latkes, chicken, etc. Adapted from Bon Appetit(Dec. 2001) A Russian recipe.
- 5 gala apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (or Golden Delicious)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup cherry preserves
- ground ginger, to garnish
- In a heavy large saucepan,combine apple chunks and unsweetened apple juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer until apples are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in the cherry preserves.
- Using a potato masher or fork, smoosh the mixture to chunky puree.
- This sauce can be prepared up to 2 days ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Serve hot or cold, garnished with ginger, if desired. Enjoy!
Doubled the recipe for company tonight. It's too bad I didn't make more. We all loved it, and wanted more. NO leftovers at all.I also did not adjust this. Definately plan on making again. Thank you for a great recipe. Made for Zaar Stars.
I used 6 gala apples. I cooked it in the microwave. And then added cherry-raspberry-strawberry preserve with less sugar. It's very good. Thanks Sharon. Made for Zaar Star Game.
Automatic 5 star DD (3) loved this. Also DH must've said 3 to 4 times, this is really good applesauce. Very easy and tasty. Love the flavor the ginger gives it. Definatly will be a remake. Served as a side with chicken pot pie.