Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Quick Cooking 2001 recipe Light and refreshing dessert. Very pretty in a trifle bowl. Leave time for trifle to chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Note: Not sure of the size of a normal envelope of dry whipped topping mix - just the standard size is needed. You can use a store bought angel food cake or make one at home.
- 10 inches round pre-made angel food cake (store bought or homemade, your choice)
- 1 3⁄4 cups cold milk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (1/2 ounce) envelope whipped dessert topping mix
- 1⁄2 cup cold milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 1 3/4 cups of milk and pudding mix. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In another bowl, beat whipped topping mix, vanilla and the 1/2 cup remaining milk until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cake into 1/2 inch cubes and place half in a 3 quart glass trifle bowl.
- Sprinkle with 1 tbls cherry juice.
- Top with half of the pie filling, half of the prepared pudding and 1/4 cup of the chocolate syrup.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with whipping topping and remaining syrup.
- Sprinkle with coconut and almonds.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Really, really outstanding dessert, even if I did make a couple of very, very small changes just to satisfy my own craving for cherries & chocolate! I made the cake (lots of time, what with the forums down right now!) then doubled the amount of cherries, chocolate (also used a homemade chocolate sauce) AND pudding, & we were thoroughly satisfied with the results! Not that I'd make it that way every time I make it again, but I was just in the mood for a cherry-&-chocolate overload, so . . . Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This was a very nice desert....I didn't realize we had to go and buy a cake, as it isn't stated in the ingredients, I'm such a dummy sometimes. I just made a cake at home and cut it into pieces. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.