- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup egg white
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain cherries thoroughly.
- Add salt, cream of tartar, almond flavoring, and vanilla to egg whites.
- Beat until foamy but not stiff.
- Beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Sift flour 3 times and fold into mixture.
- Pour a layer in the bottom of an ungreased cake pan.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 cherries.
- Add remaining batter and top with remaining cherries.
- Bake in the oven at 325° for 50 minutes.
- Invert and allow to hang until cake cools and pulls away from sides of pan.
- Use whipped cream as frosting and top with whole cherries.