Recipe by grandma2969
Found this recipe on an email that came to me..made it and it is terrific.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Made this for Christmas dinner, and it was beautiful and very tasty. Easy to make, too. Fat free, light and airy, so it went nicely with a heavier meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 16 ounces angel food cake mix
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- water, to add to cherry liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon reserved cherry juice
- 1 large egg white
- 3⁄4 cup marshmallow cream (1/2 of 7 oz jar)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Set aside an ungreased tube pan.
- Dump angel food cake mix in large mixing bowl.
- Drain juice from maraschino cherries, reserving 1 tbsp for frosting.
- To remaining maraschino cherry juice, add enough water to equal 1 1/4 cups liquid.
- Pour this liquid along with almond and vanilla extract into dry cake mix in bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer on low for 1 minute and stop and scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more.Scraping down sides of bowl if necessary. Batter should look well blended.
- Pour batter into pan.smoothing top with rubber spatula.
- Place pan in oven on rack and bake till deeply browned and top springs back when lightly touched with fingers, about 38-42 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert onto a glass bottle neck upside down to cool for 1 hour.
- Remove from bottle and run a long knife around sides of cake.
- Invert onto cooling rack and then invert onto serving platter.
- Prepare cherry fluff frosting.
- Place reserved cherry juice, sugar, and egg white into a medium size saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, beating continuously with electic mixer on high speed, till soft peaks forms (2-3 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat and add marshmallow cream and beat with electric mixer on high till stiff peaks form.about 2 minutes. Fold in chopped cherries, is using.
- Spread frosting over top and halfway down sides of angel food cake and serve immediately.
- We usually don't have any leftovers, so I am not sure how well this stores.