Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of our family favorites.
Make and share this Cherry Angel Food Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups egg whites (about 13)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, coarsely chopped and drained (about 30)
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine flour and remaining sugar; gradually fold into batter, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in cherries.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minute or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around the sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping.
After eating a really yummy cherry angel food cake that I bought from a fair, I started looking for a recipe. I have baked lots of cakes over the years but was always afraid of angel food cakes for some reason. This was the first angel food cake I had ever attempted to make. It was delicious! My family also loved it and it was gone in one day. I will definitely make this over and over again. Thanks!