Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the easiest to make and is absolutely YUMMY! It is very light and we love it on hot nights. It tastes like cherry topped cheese cake but is so much easier to make. It goes super fast at a potluck! Approx 15 minutes from start to finish!!
- 1 round angel food cake (Store bought)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (8 oz)
- 16 ounces Cool Whip (16 oz)
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling (I use 2 cans)
- Tear the angel food cake into 1-inch cubes (into a large bowl).
- With your fingers, tear the cream cheese into small pieces (into the same bowl).
- Add the Cool Whip.
- Toss "gently", you don't want to break up the angel food cake too much but still tastes great if you do.
- Turn cake mixture into a 13x9-inch casserole dish and top with the cherry pie filling.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Servings are approximate.
- Original recipe called for 1 can of topping but I always use 2.
How woefully remiss of me to not have rated this wonderful dessert sooner!! I've made it several times already! I did make a change, due to personal preference. My DH does not like cream cheese, so I used 2 8 oz containers of black cherry yogurt. And do use 2 cans of cherry pie filling as one seemed a little sparse. Thank you for an awesome dessert!
I had 6 individual angel food cakes that I used and instead of cherry pie filling I used apple( with Splenda) with a touch of cinnamon and chopped walnuts. The other ingredients were no fat. I is nice and light and lends itself to so may different combinations. I'll use this often.
Made this twice now. The first time as written except for using all low cal and fat free items-perfect and yummy! Only 313 calories and ZERO fat! But when I went to make it yesterday, I found my fat-free cream cheese to be expired and it looked questionable anyway. So I improvised and used a cup of Dannon Light n Lively Vanilla Yogurt in its place. (Don't even ask me how I got creative enough to try this...but it was superb!) Plus it acually shaved off about 15 MORE calories per serving. Don't hesitate to try this version.