Recipe by MarieRynr
A touch of lemon juice heightens the flavour of the cherries in this tender Italian-style cake. It's a wonderful pudding served warm from the oven with creme fraiche.
- 20 ounces cherries, stoned
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 225 g golden caster sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons golden caster sugar, for sprinkling
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 115 g butter, melted and colled until tepid,plus extra for greasing tin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Mix the cherries and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Line the base of a 23cm round cake tin with non stick baking parchment paper, and butter the sides.
- Sift flour and baking powder with a pinch salt.
- Whisk sugar with the eggs until mixture is pale and thick (4-5 minutes).
- Fold in the flour and lemon zest in two batches with a metal spoon, alternating with the butter.
- Spoon the batter into the tin, and smooth over.
- Scatter the cherries and their juice higgledy piggledy over the batter.
- Sprinkle the extra sugar over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour, just until firm to the touch.
- If need be, cover with foil halfway through to prevent over browning.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out and serve warm or cold.
- Don't be dismayed if the torta has sunk in the center- this is the best bit, moist and juicy.
- You may subsitute the golden castor sugar with plain white sugar.